Water can be safe to drink but still contain dirt and rust. These large particles, called sediment, won’t harm your health, but they do make water look and taste bad and can cause costly damage to clothing, dishes and appliances like dishwashers and hot water heaters. The good news is that installing a water filtration system is a simple solution, but with so many to choose from, how can you find the best whole house water filter for your home?
What some whole house water filter reviews won’t tell you is that if your water is potable, but harbors undissolved particles, a basic sediment filter is all you need. This type of system won’t remove microorganisms, heavy metals and chemical contaminants, but if your water is already clean, it doesn’t have to. For treating sediment, this Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System is the prefect solution.
Table of Contents
3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System — Model AP902
3M’s Aqua-Pure AP902 is a 100,000-gallon capacity, whole home filtration system that treats water as it enters the home, improving water quality from every tap in the house. Carbon filter media captures sediment particles down to five microns — a tenth of the width of a human hair — and diminishes chlorine taste and odor while the polyphosphate-based scale inhibition feature limits the build-up of mineral scale in pipes and appliances. Do-it-yourself installation is a breeze, and maintenance is among the easiest and most cost-effective in the industry.
Top Q & A
Q: Are filter changes easy?
A: Yes! It’s as easy as changing a light bulb! Just twist it on and off. No special tools or hands-on contact with a dirty filter is required.
Q: When should the filter cartridge be changed?
A: Cartridges should be changed every twelve months, but in homes with higher-than-average use or unusually high levels of sediment, it may be required more often.
Q: Can the Aqua-Pure be used to filter well water?
A: Yes, but it does not remove microorganisms, heavy metals or chemical contaminants, so it should only be used to filter water that is biologically safe.
For a budget-friendly, hassle-free, set-it-and-forget-it filtration system that’s built to last by a company known for superior engineering and top-notch customer care, this is my pick for the best whole house water filter.
Whole Home Water Filter In-Depth Features
The Aqua-Pure AP902 is a simple sediment filter. It reduces chlorine taste and removes undissolved solids from water down to five microns.
- Flow Rate: The amount of time takes for water to travel through a filtration system to a tap is known as the flow rate. It’s measured in gallons per minutes and lets homeowners know if a filter can produce water fast enough to meet their needs. For example, flushing a toilet and taking a shower each use up to 3 gallons per minute. Since the Aqua-Pure delivers up to 20 gallons per minutes, it can meet a whole family’s needs without anyone having to wait.
- Filter Micron Size: Filters capture sediment as water moves through tiny pores in the cartridge’s filtration media. Pores are measured in microns — millionths of a meter — and their size determines which particles can pass through and which can’t.
- Scale Inhibition System: When mineral scale builds up in plumbing and appliances, it obstructs water flow and affects their efficiency. Over time, lines can become clogged entirely, and the backflow of water can damage sensitive and costly equipment — especially water heaters. Depending on its composition, mineral scale can also stain dishes, kitchen and bathroom fixtures and make freshly washed clothing — especially whites — look dull and dingy.
- Some minerals, however, are beneficial for good health, and it’s a shame to remove them. The Aqua-Pure solves this problem by using small amounts of polyphosphate — a gentle chemical added to most municipal water supplies — not to remove valuable minerals, but to keep them from sticking to pipes. It’s a win-win.
- Life Span: The Aqua-Pure’s exterior housing is made from food-safe plastics and stainless steel, and filter cartridges are replaceable — a feature that extends the life of your initial investment. Unlike some models, its life span is virtually unlimited as long as the interior cartridge is replaced as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Cartridge replacements are a big part of the total cost of owning a filtration system, so when you’re looking at your budget, it’s important to consider their price, the number of cartridges in the system and the frequency at which they need to be changed. Gallon for gallon, the Aqua-Pure has one of the lowest costs of ownership in the industry with one primary filter that needs to replaced once a year on average.
Design and Installation
The AP902 measures 25 inches high and is installed near your home’s primary water inlet. As part of an inline system, it’s integrated into the main pipe. Installing the AP902 takes a few tools and basic technical know-how, but authors of a wide range of whole house water filter reviews agree that it’s well within the ability of most homeowners. If you decide to take the afternoon off instead and hire a pro, installation is usually quick and cost-effective.
Help & Support
3M backs the AP902 with a comprehensive warranty for worry-free use. The main housing is guaranteed for a year, but the meat and potatoes of the unit — the heavy-duty stainless steel head — is covered for a full 25 years. Customer service and technical support are available Monday through Friday by phone or chat, and knowledgeable representatives are standing by to help.
Reducing the sediment in your home’s water is a simple problem that deserves a straightforward, stress-free solution. For years of clear, great-tasting water that treats your clothing, fixtures and appliances as gently as you do, the Aqua-Pure A902 is the obvious answer.